Sport Premium Funding
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is again providing funding during the academic year 2022/23 to provide substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture and Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Schools must use the funding to make sustainable improvements to the quality of P.E. and sports which are offered. This means that the premium can be used to:
- Develop or add to the P.E. and sport activities that the school already offers.
- Build capacity and capability within the school to ensure improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in a least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school.
- The profile of P.E. and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching P.E. and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
The approach Bowker Vale Primary have taken is based on the desire to ensure all children benefit from the funding regardless of their sporting ability and that they aspire to and reach a higher standard of physical performance.
Why is physical activity so important?
The National Curriculum 2014 states that –
“A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.”
The link below will take you to our School’s Sports Premium spending plan.
Sports Premium Proposed Spend for 2022/23
Sports Premium Spend and Impact Analysis 2021/22
Sports Premium Spend and Impact Analysis 2020/21
Sports Premium Spend and Impact Analysis 2019/20