Do you qualify for Free School Meals?
Free School Meals - evidence shows that school meals:
- Leads to positive improvements in health and academic attainment;
- Provides up to 3 out of 5 of your child’s 5-a-day portions of fruit and vegetables;
- Helps children learn to communicate and interact with each other;
- Aids concentration during lessons;
- Is a great way to create an interest in food as well as introduce new foods to your child.
Free School Milk - milk is excellent as a mid-morning drink. It provides a nutritional boost and keeps children hydrated between breakfast and lunch, helping them to concentrate and learn.
Extra Funding for Your Child’s School - This money can be used by the school to fund valuable support like extra tuition, teaching assistants, IT equipment and other resources, and, have more enhanced learning opportunities for pupils. You may also be able to seek financial assistance to help towards the cost of school trips and other related expenses.
For every child registered Bowker Vale gets £1,320 this year.
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out your household income of £16,190 a year or less. This income limit will be used until April 2016 but may go up in future years
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week
- If you are an asylum seeker
- Pupils can also register for Free School Meals if they get any of these benefits themselves
School will carry application forms for free school meals and will be happy to assist parents with applications.
You can also apply online at: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/downloads/download/840/claim_form_for_education_benefits_only
Did you know … just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money?
Register now to make sure your child and others in their class don’t miss out – even if you do not want to take up the meal
How does it work?
First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the list above.
Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact the school office staff who will help you
If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving
you more than £427 a year), extra benefits and the school gets £1,320 extra.
If you don’t want your child to have the school meals they can continue as normal – as long as you
qualify and are registered, the school still gets £1,320 extra.
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Please talk to us about registering your child today.