The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011, and paid by means of a specific grant based on school census figures for pupils registered as eligible for FSM in reception to Year 11. For looked after children the Pupil Premium was calculated using the Children Looked After data returns (SSDA903). A premium has also been introduced for children whose parents are currently serving in the armed forces. This service premium is designed to address the emotional and social well-being of these pupils. In 2012 the DfE announced that Pupil Premium would now be allocated to all pupils that are known to have been eligible for free schools meals in the last six years (Pupil Premium ever 6).
The Pupil Premium is additional to main school funding and it will be used by Bowker Vale to address any underlying inequalities between children eligible and others by ensuring that funding reaches the pupils who need it most.
The school recognises that not all pupils who are eligible for pupil premium are underachieving, while some pupils may be underachieving and not eligible for pupil premium funding. It is school policy to plan, adapt and prepare for any individual, or group, in which any area of under-performance is evident. The school does not use this policy to displace current strategies to intervene and support its pupils. Some pupils may be achieving well, but will be entitled to funding to enhance their future educational aspirations and achievements.
- The Pupil Premium will be used to provide additional educational support to improve the progress and to raise the standard of achievement for these pupils
- The funding will be used to narrow and close the gap between the achievement of these pupils and their peers
- As far as its powers allow the school will use the additional funding to address any underlying inequalities between children eligible for Pupil Premium and others
- We will ensure that the additional funding reaches the pupils who need it most and that it makes a significant impact on their education and lives.
- Pupil Premium will be clearly identifiable within the budget
- The Headteacher, in consultation with the governors and staff, will decide how the Pupil Premium is spent for the benefit of entitled pupils
- The school will assess what additional provision should be made for the individual pupils.
- The school will be accountable for how it has used the additional funding to support the achievement of those pupils covered by the Pupil Premium and the Headteacher will report to the governing body and parents/carers on how effective the intervention has been in achieving its aims.
- We will publish online information about how we have used the Premium.
- We will ensure that parents/carers, governors and others are made fully aware of the attainment of pupils covered by the Premium.
- We will seek to further develop strategies and interventions which can improve the progress and attainment of these pupils.
- We will track the impact of the strategies put into place through the funding to ensure that we can show the value that has been added to the education of the entitled children.
- We will monitor evaluate and review the success of the impact of the pupil premium funding.
This policy will play an important part in the educational development of the individual pupils who are entitled to the Pupil Premium. We will ensure that these pupils are treated equally and as favourably as others and that the additional funding is used well to address the challenges they face. The school will use the additional funding to promote the achievement and progress of all entitled pupils. Through wise use of this additional funding we are fully committed to ensuring that the individual needs of each entitled child are met. As a result of the additional funding, these children will make better progress and achieve higher standards that would have been likely without it.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU REGISTER FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE (EVEN IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE A MEAL) - OUR PUPIL PREMIUM FUNDING IS DETERMINED BY THIS. See our FREE SCHOOL MEAL page for further information