Writing at Bowker Vale
Through the English curriculum at Bowker Vale, we will help develop the skills and knowledge that will enable children to communicate through written language and equip them with the skills to become lifelong learners.
We give children at Bowker Vale the opportunity to:
- Write in a variety of different contexts and for different audiences and purposes
- Plan, draft and edit their writing to suit the purpose
- Be aware of the conventions of writing including grammar, punctuation and spelling
We teach the children that a 'good writer' thinks about...
- Punctuation (including capital letters) .,!?()"" - ...
- Vocabulary (interesting adjectives, verbs etc) and imagination
- Different sentence types
- How to organise a piece of writing
- Different styles of writing
Please click here for our Bowker Vale Handwriting Policy
Top tips for writing at home with your child:
Make writing fun by using your child's hobbies or interests. Think of different types of writing. If your child is a reluctant writer, try a short writing activity first.