To begin your child's journey in Reception we will be beginning a topic called ‘My World’.
The children will be taking part in many activities to find out about themselves, their emotions, their friends and other people in school, and their families.
During the first few weeks the children will learn a great deal about relationships and how to get along with lots of new people. They will be introduced to activities to develop new skills and have opportunities to play alone, alongside and with other children.
The children will be introduced to books, stories and rhymes. They will be involved in counting activities as well as some of the processes of art and craft. We will be painting pictures of ourselves, our families and our homes. We will sing and learn some simple rhymes.
The children will begin to learn about paying attention and concentrating as well as expressing their own needs and feelings. They will also begin to understand how to take care of themselves and their bodies. Each day will bring opportunities to develop the ability to cope with change.
At home please encourage your child to be as independent as possible, using a knife and fork at the table, getting themselves dressed, and putting their own coat and shoes on. When they come into school in the morning please encourage your child to find their own peg, hang up their coat and come into the classroom on their own.
Please help us to prepare for our topic by sending us a baby photograph of your child.
You could help your child at home by
- Singing songs and read stories about bodies eg Head, shoulders, knees and toes, If you’re happy and you know it.
- Read stories to your child
- Talk to your child about who is in their family
- Help your child to practise drawing pictures of themselves and their family – including as much detail as possible.
- Encourage your child to be as independent as possible eg putting on and taking off their own coat and shoes, dressing themselves, using a knife and fork, managing their own toiletting.
As always, we welcome any support or suggestions which you may have.
Thanks in advance
The Reception Team